RE/Search Newsletter #169, Nov 2017 Part 2
SPONSORSHIP NEEDED! Support independent publishing. Help us keep this newsletter going. For $72 you will receive a website listing, plus space for a small message, for 6 months.
Follow V. Vale on Twitter and Instagram!
Find our podcast, RE/Search Conversations on iTunes or your favorite podcast app.
Table of contents
1: Forthcoming events part 2
2: Our past life
3: Recommended links
5: Letters from readers
6: Sponsors (Check ’em out! – they make this newsletter possible!)
1. FORTHCOMING EVENTS PART 2: (San Francisco unless Otherwise Noted)
() Roxie Theater has a lot of other great films playing this month! Same for the Castro, Balboa, Alamo Drafthouse, YBCA, Embarcadero, Clay and probably other theaters). If it’s still possible, try to see BLADE RUNNER 2049 in IMAX; it’s well worth the extra $$ (you see more & hear more).
() NOW FOR NOVEMBER at THE LAB: Annea Lockwood residency (events, film showings, et al) www.thelab.org
() FREE Fri Nov 10, 6-9pm Illegal Art Exhibit with Kal Spelletich, Mark Pauline, Matt Gonzalez and others. Luggage Store, 1007 Market/6th St., upstairs. Fri Dec 1: Artists Survival Techniques and The Law with advice from Matt Gonzalez and Ragi da Lawyer: how to survive tips, stories of those who made BIG mistakes! Uh, this was a GREAT event!!! Photos on Instagram on vale_research account!
() FREE Sun NOV 12 12-6:15pm Punk-Metal Flea Market at DNA Lounge, 11th St/Harrison St. RE/Search will have a table; come meet us! (Bands play til 9pm) This was a great event!!!
() $5 WED NOV 15, 8pm KREation Ensemble, Heartworm, The Senders, Headlights at Peacock Lounge, 552 Haight/Fillmore Sts.
() $ THU NOV 16, 2pm CatVideoFest at YBCA
() $ THU NOV 16, 730pm, Tanya Zimbardo presents Gunvor Nelson/Dorothy Wiley films at YBCA (RE/Search will attend!)
() $ SAT NOV 18, 7pm Bob Fosse’s All That Jazz at YBCA (also Sun Nov 19 2pm)
() FREE Sun NOV 19, 10-6pm Howard Zinn Book Fair at City College Mission Campus, Valencia/22nd St, RE/Search will have a table; come meet us!
() FREE Tue Nov 28, 7pm City Lights Bookstore hosts A.J. Lees on William S. Burroughs: new book, Mentored By a Madman, published by Notting Hill Editions.
() FREE Fri Dec 1, Matt Gonzalez talks on “Artists’ Survival Techniques and The Law” at Luggage Store, 1007 Market/6th St.
() Now through Jan 28, 2018: BAMPFA **BERKELEY** Miyoko Ito Art Show! Also, Jan 17-May 6 BAMPFA has a huge show titled “Way Bay” of Bay Area artists like Bruce Conner, Joan Brown, Jay DeFeo, Richard Diebenkorn, and many others — a must-see! www.bampfa.org
() V. Vale appears briefly (in the middle?) talking about his “Goals of Life” manifesto in FAR#9 Radio Program by Erica Lyle & friends: https://www.mixcloud.com/kpissfm/free-air-radio-9/
() V. Vale on youtube (1 minute) supporting the striking students at HBK Braunschweig Art School who have had their art studios closed down during weekends and nights, violating a hundred-year tradition and precedent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsre_ZrWAnM www.hbkbs.de
PERENNIAL FORTHCOMINGs to CHECK OUT:
() Support the Roxie Theater: great programming EVERY NIGHT (our opinion). http://www.roxie.com
() Castro Theater: a beautiful Film Palace! Amazing built-into-the-walls pipe organ often played before shows, so get there early.
() The Balboa, too! Go OUT to the movies! See films with others & buy popcorn! It’s FUN!
() S.F./BAY AREA EVENTS to Google Regularly: The Long Now Foundation. Goethe Institute. The List (Punk Rock). Dorkbot. Bottom of the Hill. The INdependent. Thee Parkside. The Chapel. Brick & Mortar. ATA Gallery (last “underground” film place?). Mule Gallery. Live Worms Gallery on Grant Avenue. The Lab under Dena Beard. Southern Exposure Gallery under Patricia Maloney. SF Cinematheque under Antonella Bonfanti. Gray Area on Mission St/23rd St: very avant-garde programming; go to their website.
2: Our Past Life:
3: Links (send us some!)
() from Gary C: Bonhams : BALLARD (J.G.) An extensive collection of first edition novels, science fiction and pulp magazines, periodicals (and 2 autograph letters signed) by, with contributions from or edited by Ballard, of which SEVENTY-NINE SIGNED BY THE AUTHOR, [
() Ask, “Who are the greatest designers who ever lived?”
5: Letters from readers
() “Hi Vale; Hope you are well. Tomorrow the Residents are playing here in Amsterdam. I bought a ticket already.
Do you have a way to connect me with them? An email, name, or their phone number?
“Thanks for all the support and inspiration. x Lauren”
(Without them you would NOT be receiving this newsletter – Please go to their websites!)
Here, a personal thanks to our pal Dave S and to Paul L. And this newsletter would not exist without Andrew B. and Emily.
If you would like to be a sponsor, a year costs $144; we ask for a 6-month minimum of $72.
1. BEYOND BAROQUE: Only bookstore in L.A. with a complete stock of RE/SEARCH BOOKS! Please patronize them… (Also, some RE/Search titles at The Pop-Hop in L.A.; thanks, Rhea Tepp!) RE/Search books now at bozomag’s store in L.A.!
V. Vale’s RE/Search Newsletter is cordially sponsored by “Beyond the Beyond.”http://archive.wired.com/beyond_the_beyond
Information Wants To Be Free WE MEAN IT MAN!
3. Hicks Metal Design & Production: Supporting creativity in the Bay Area since 1994 (x4-30-18)
4. We Heard You Like Books accepts the dominance of RE/Search in all matters, but here’s our website anyway: weheardyoulikebooks.com (The Ice Party) (x4-30-18)
5. DRYLAND: Los Angeles Underground Art & Writing—uniquely based in South Central L.A. Poetry, fiction, nonfiction, reviews, interviews. https://drylandlit.org/ (x10-31-17)
6. What’s CBD and how is it related to harm reduction and vaping? To learn more, visit our blog at http://CascadiaVape.com To purchase CBD and Kava supplements visit http://CascadiaVape.net (x/end1/18)
7. Support & visit NYC Gallerist Margaret Lee! 47 Canal (gallery). (x/end1/18)
8. WorkshopSF, located in Western Addition, offers creative, affordable DIY classes for adults, taught by awesome local artists, woodworkers, and makers, since 2009. http://www.workshopsf.org/ (x03/18)
9. Uncertain is a post-industrial musick project by Florian-Ayala Fauna (2007 on), influenced by the Occult and work of artists like Coil, Current 93, Aleister Crowley (the esoteric tradition). https://uncertain.bandcamp.com (x03/18)
10. Paul L. many many thanks!! Also, thanks much to Dave S. and Billy H.
The end, for now